How are civil society organisations using social media? Which tools do they favour, and what do they hope to achieve by using them? These are some of the questions I hope to answer in my survey, Civil society associations and their application of social & new media, and I need your help to spread the word and find lots of respondents.
Who should fill in the survey?
The questions are aimed at people who have responsibility either for your organisation’s website, or its PR, media, communications or marketing strategy. Your organisation doesn’t actually have to have a website in order for your responses to the survey to be valuable – indeed I have a whole bunch of questions aimed at organisations without a website at all. But if you have a website, and you’re not the person responsible for it, I’d be grateful if you could send a link to this blog post or the survey itself to the right person.
What sort of organisations are you looking for?
The phrases used by those in the know are “third sector” and “civil society associations”, but if you’re not sure if that means you, here are a few examples to help clarify:
- Registered charities, like Help the Aged
- Non-profit organisations, like the Open Rights groups
- Credit unions or mutuals, like the Mid-Cornwall Credit Union
- Co-operatives, like the Abbey Road Housing Co-operative Limited
- Trade unions, like the NUJ
- Faith-based organisations, like the Islamic Foundation
- Business or professional associations, like the Design Business Association
- Political parties, like the Green Party
- NGOs, like NESTA
- Community groups, like Guerilla Gardeners
- any other organisation, regardless of governance structure, that is focused on civil issues.
If you still aren’t sure if that means you, please fill the survey in anyway – you can define you own identity in the “other” field. And whilst we are focused on the UK, if you’re from outside of the UK and are doing really fab things with social tools, please do fill the survey in too.
Please help spread the word
I don’t have much time to get the initial results from this survey, so I’d really appreciate it if you could forward links on to people in your network whom you think might be able to help.
Any questions? Let me know in the comments!